Shortness of breath and wheezing can be frightening in severe cases and, even in milder cases, breathing difficulties can keep you from living your fullest life. Our pulmonologist is specially trained to treat lung disease and illnesses of the respiratory system. So when your cough from the flu or pneumonia doesn’t improve, we’re here to help. Our compassionate team of pulmonary specialists at Blue Ridge Medical Group will work with you to find a treatment plan that meets your needs, as well as fits your lifestyle.
Common conditions include:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) including chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both – this condition can prevent your lungs from getting enough air. Because oxygen levels in your blood can get too low, your doctor may prescribe oxygen therapy.
- Asthma – this recurring condition is caused when your airways narrow and swell producing extra mucus, making breathing difficult, triggering coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath
- Pulmonary fibrosis – this condition occurs when lung tissue becomes damaged and scarred, making it difficult for your lungs to work correctly.
- Lung cancer and lung nodules
- Smoking cessation
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep Studies
Depending on your needs, our pulmonologist may schedule special tests to diagnose your concerns and create a treatment and next-steps plan for you. Two such tests are:
- Pulmonary Function Test to assess your ability to breathe and how capable your lungs are in delivering oxygen to the rest of your body
- Fiber Optic Bronchoscopy to examine your lungs for any abnormalities
Don’t suffer from chronic breathing problems. Call our pulmonary specialist at Blue Ridge Medical Group to find options to breathe life back into your daily activities.